Wednesday, June 24, 2009

One step at a time...

I love it when my kids come running up to me with a huge smile and the look of accomplishment in their eyes, telling me about what they have just done. By themselves. Its a glorious moment for them and I let them live it. As for me, well... I am happy. But, deep down I know that when they learn to do something on their own, its one less thing they will need me for.

Jade has been struggling with the dreaded sippys! That tiny straw that comes attached to the side and the micro sized hole they want the end of the straw to poke. It just wasnt her thing... Until today. She defeated the sippy! She managed to get the straw into the hole with out squeezing half the contents of the pouch all over her! And she made sure I knew about it :)

I remember the day I realized my Robbie didnt need me to cut up his hot dogs anymore. He had been eatting whole hot dogs for a while but it never dawned on me that I needed to stop cutting them up. You kinda go onto this routine with them and its hard to snap out of it at the right times.

I was sitting down at a resturant with him and Cliff, cutting up the giant hot dog. I looked down at my knife and fork and stopped in the middle of cutting a piece off. I was like "what am I doing? I dont need to do this anymore for him. He's been eatting soild food whole for 5 months now!" I laughed at myself. Then I told Cliff my earth shattering news and went home to shower and cry.

With each child I birth, I start new. But in the end, I still have to stop cutting up the hot dog at one point in time.

Truth be told... I cut up their food sometimes just to do it and tell them that it needed to cool off and that was a faster way of doing it lol

Its hard letting go of the hand you been holding for so long. And it never gets easy to let your newborn become an infant then transform into a toddler only to quickly become school aged. Im not even thinking about college... or them becoming mothers and fathers themselves. Im just enjoying them as they are and extending my hand for the things that they still need me for.

I love my babies... I love them so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Please note that while your advice and opinions are welcome, please comment in a respectful manner. Id offer the same if this was your post. Please refrain from any lude or unkind words. Thank you ~ R. Newton*